Monday, February 11, 2013

Things I Don't Buy: Laundry Soap

You've probably seen all the pins about homemade laundry soap on Pinterest. Genius. Talk about saving money. The problem? All the recipes I tried were for liquid laundry soap, which involves boiling, mixing and cooling. Altogether, a good forty-five minute process at least. Ain't nobody got time for that.

So I started on a mission to find a homemade laundry soap recipe without all the hassle. I found this one on Pinterest, and with a slight modification, it was perfect.  

Here are just a few of the pros about this recipe:

It's powder instead of liquid, so it goes A LOT further.
The whole process of making it took about 15 minutes.
There is no measuring, boiling, etc.
It can easily be made into an all-natural laundry soap just by using some type of organic bar soap.
It is CHEAP to make (perfect for poor newlyweds!)

Ingredients: 
  • 1 large box (4.75lbs) of Borax - $3.38
  • 1 large box (4lbs) of Baking Soda - $2.24
  • 1 large box (3lbs 7oz) Arm & Hammer Washing Soda - $3.24
  • 3 bars of your favorite soap
  • a big container for your detergent (there's another picture of the one I used at the end!)


Instructions:
  1. Add all the ingredients except the soap to a large container and mix well. 
  2. Grate the soap and then add it into the mixture.* 
*This is where I changed the recipe up a little. If you have ever grated soap, it is a terrible process that takes forever and usually results in more missing skin on my hands than grated soap in the bucket. So, I decided to try a little experiment. 

First, I chopped up the soap into small(ish) pieces with a kitchen knife (don't worry, soap is surprisingly easy to chop up). 




Then I stuck it in my Black & Decker Handy Chopper and let it do the grating for me! Talk about a life and time saver. 




Once the soap is chopped up into fine pieces, add it to your mixture and you're done! I used Zest soap, which made the mixture (and my clothes after washing them in it) smell AMAZING. 




It only takes about 4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup) per load, so the batch of detergent last a LONG time. Not to mention it was so much cheaper than store-bought detergent! 

Here is the finished product as well as my sweet Daisy peeking in the backdoor. 
She hates anything that doesn't involve her getting all the attention :)